Head Up: Prepare for dropping fuse group in the nearest future

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Thu Feb 7 04:09:56 UTC 2008

Warren Togami wrote:
> Peter Lemenkov wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> Due to landing of upcoming Gnome release in Fedora 9 I decided to drop
>> fuse group.
>>
>> The main reason is that future Gnome VFS will use fuse as a backend,
>> and we wil be forced to add all users into fuse group (if we allow
>> them to use Gnome VFS) what will made the existence of fuse group
>> useless..
>>
>> Any objections?
>
> Is it really necessary to drop the fuse group for GNOME to do what it
> wants to do?  Sounds like it wont be.

Technically yes.  Though I think the real issue is that it's necessary
to drop the point of having the fuse group in the first place to do
this.  (i.e. let all users have access to what fuse does (suid) by
default).  Which seems to be worthy of discussion, since obviously there
was some perceived benefit of structuring it that way in the first place.

-dmc