F9 Alpha Observations

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 02:04:36 UTC 2008

Mike Chambers wrote:
> 1 - The install itself was fine, except once it go to installing the
> packages.  That step took around 2 hours for 900 packages, which this
> being the plain ole default install that is suggested, and customization
> done later.
>
> 2 - radeonhd xorg driver was not installed by default, therefore x
> locked up when trying to start.  Had to manually change xorg.conf to
> vesa driver to get it running.  Installed radeonhd after and using it
> now, and so far it works, and recognized monitor.  Card is x1300 and
> monitor is HP w1907.

Been discussed already on lists but have not seen a bz about it (I may have
missed it).

> 3 - FF3 beta 2 that comes with it, seems to open with a home page of
> www.s.com and I have already setup preferences to my own home page.  I
> can't find the reference to www.s.com at all.  Although, if I click the
> home button, it will go to my home page.

Is that a site you manually entered ever?  Are you opening/recovering a session?

> 4 - Maybe not Fedora's problem, maybe so, but flash from adobe doesn't
> seem to be recognized by FF3 beta 2.  Not sure if java is either?  I
> didn't even see a plugins dir in /usr/lib/firefox neither. about:plugins
> only shows adobe reader stuff and that's it.

I think you need to yum install libflashsupport, then install the flash-plugin
rpm from adobe for it to be grabbed by FF3.  Do you have libflashsupport
installed yet?  This may not be part of the default install set (if not maybe it
should be).

> 5 - When trying to set system time and pick weather info, on system time
> it asks to authenticate, so I put in root password and it just blinks at
> me and asks again.  Never lets me pick to set time to another
> computer/location or anything.

This is policykit requesting authentication for /usr/libexec/clock-applet?  Do
you realize that clicking the clock-applet->location edit->time settings opens
the dialog to change system time, then clicking 'set system time' does not open
a new dialog it only applies what is shown?  (change the values, then set system
time)  The authentication should be happening only after you try to apply the
settings (which the 'set system time' button does).

I do notice that if you put in the wrong password (so not authorized) it will
fail to even ask for the password again and just keep closing as soon as you
click 'system time' but not change it.  I've had to go delete the authorization
to change system time to get this to stop, then reauthorize.  There may be some
issues with policykit keeping 'not really authorized' authorizations and just
not letting you try again.