to autodownload or not to autodownload

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 12:00:08 UTC 2008

On Feb 9, 2008 11:42 AM, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 11:21:30AM +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> >
> > OSS-Flash players are not good equivalent of closed source. They're not
> > worth trying.
>
> You are missing the philosophy of free software. Instead of complaining
> that they are not good enough and use proprietary stuff you should start
> a free software project or help improve the existing ones by becoming a
> tester and developper. 'They're not worth trying' is especially off
> base. They are worth helping. The point of free software developpement
> is less using (and be a 'free rider') than contributing to the 'public good'
> production.
>
> As for the free flash players, they are steadily improving. swfdec is not
> that bad and the gnash cvs version has improved alot. It doesn't run
> flash 8 but is much more usable.

Have you read these threads:
[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2008-January/msg00095.html
[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-desktop-list/2008-January/msg00129.html

I tested swfdec in detail and I find it useless for general online
usage today. Offcourse that it will get impoved and I welcome the day
I can use it instead of proprietary ones, but that day is not today
unfortunatelly. And in order to use swfdec you still need unlegalized
fedora packages from livna if you didn't know.

Valent.
--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic