K12Linux Re: Education SIG

sebastian at when.com sebastian at when.com
Sat Feb 9 19:44:10 UTC 2008

Hi,
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/K12Linux
> Hmm... I had already begun working on integrating K12LTSP with a
> target of Fedora 9.  LTSP enables terminal server and thin client
> capability just like Edubuntu server or the older K12LTSP.
Well, I don't know, how big this LTSP really is and correct me, if I'm
wrong, but I think that with LTSP and further educational applications,
we are running into heavy space problems (on cds). I had already
problems including the educational software in my kickstart proposal. I
think an educational spin could include the possibility to log on to
such a terminal server. But I'm not sure, whether a live cd should
include a terminal server...
> Also in my plans were to simply make a yum group for other Educational
> software to make it easy to install from Add/Remove Software or
> PackageKit, or to include in any spin.  It sounds like you are working
> on the latter part of this.
Good idea! In my opinion, this would also be better than just providing
a script on the desktop. +1

> Might it be confusing to users to have both a "K12Linux" and
> "Education" spin?
I think we should discuss, how to go on. You're right: Two spins might
be confusing, so we should talk about how to handle this.

But here might be enough space for a cd and a dvd - I would suggest
something like:
    * one version, which includes the terminal server (and which would
mainly be used in schools)
        if we would include the server and serveral edu apps, I would
recommend a dvd
    * another version for the thin clients, which would be just for
logging on to the terminal server
    * a cd, which might be given by teachers to their students (I think
pupils don't need to have a terminal server on their local computers)
These are just suggestions and I think, we should really discuss how to
organize this, so that we don't have several projects all doing the same.

And, in my opinion, why should still consider forming a SIG, to get
those people, who are interested (and maybe, who haven't yet contributed
to K12LTSP), together. This would also help to organize the whole
educational part.

What do you think?

Sebastian