to autodownload or not to autodownload

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Sun Feb 10 20:09:15 UTC 2008

On 02/10/2008 02:52 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> If users want to get non-free items, I would MUCH rather usher them to
>> the legal way to do so versus the illegal way.  Fluendo is currently
>> the only legal way we can offer for the US and some other countries.
>>

> The same argument could be used for autodownloader, if someone wants to
> play quake, I much rather have they use autodl to download a legal
> version then use some pirated full version.
>
> I really must say I don't understand how people can have an issue with
> autodownloader and at the same time defend codina. To me that is nothing
> shirt of hypocritical.

Here's the bottom line:

Is $MEDIAPLAYER usable if the user decides they don't want to download
any codecs with codeina?  Yes, because we ship and support vorbis,
theora, flac, wav, etc.

Is $GAME playable if the user decides they don't want to download the
non-free items?  If yes, I'm totally fine with the game using
autodownloader.  If no, I have a major problem with the game being in
Fedora.  In neither case do I have a problem with autodownloader existing.