K12Linux Re: Education SIG

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Feb 11 03:37:54 UTC 2008

sebastian at when.com wrote:
> Hi,
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/K12Linux
>> Hmm... I had already begun working on integrating K12LTSP with a
>> target of Fedora 9.  LTSP enables terminal server and thin client
>> capability just like Edubuntu server or the older K12LTSP.
> Well, I don't know, how big this LTSP really is and correct me, if I'm
> wrong, but I think that with LTSP and further educational applications,
> we are running into heavy space problems (on cds). I had already
> problems including the educational software in my kickstart proposal. I
> think an educational spin could include the possibility to log on to
> such a terminal server. But I'm not sure, whether a live cd should
> include a terminal server...

The old LTSP that built an entire distro itself in the chroot wont fit
on a CD.  But the new LTSP is really only a few megabytes of code on top
of regular Fedora.

>> Also in my plans were to simply make a yum group for other Educational
>> software to make it easy to install from Add/Remove Software or
>> PackageKit, or to include in any spin.  It sounds like you are working
>> on the latter part of this.
> Good idea! In my opinion, this would also be better than just providing
> a script on the desktop. +1
>>
>> Might it be confusing to users to have both a "K12Linux" and
>> "Education" spin?
> I think we should discuss, how to go on. You're right: Two spins might
> be confusing, so we should talk about how to handle this.
>
> But here might be enough space for a cd and a dvd - I would suggest
> something like:
>    * one version, which includes the terminal server (and which would
> mainly be used in schools)
>        if we would include the server and serveral edu apps, I would
> recommend a dvd
>    * another version for the thin clients, which would be just for
> logging on to the terminal server

Not necessary - think about what thin client means. =)

>    * a cd, which might be given by teachers to their students (I think
> pupils don't need to have a terminal server on their local computers)
> These are just suggestions and I think, we should really discuss how to
> organize this, so that we don't have several projects all doing the same.

So our two editions would be similar to Ubuntu:
K12Linux Desktop - just the educational desktop apps
K12Linux Server  - Desktop, LTSP, Moodle, DansGuardian, Squidguard, etc.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com