Proposed features

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 11 15:53:14 UTC 2008

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> Tim Lauridsen pisze:
>> Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I proposed some features for Fedora. They might not be accepted, but
>>> it's worth a try.
>>>
>>> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JakubRusinek/DRAFT%3A1clickInstall
>>
>> I have made a little app doing the same stuff.
>>
>> bzr branch http://timlau.fedorapeople.org/bzr/easyinst
>> cd easyinst
>>
>> sudo ./easyinst.py app.ini
>>
>> it is using an ini file instead of xml looking like this
>>
>> [livna]
>> type=repository
>> method=rpm
>> url=http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
>>
>> [gstreamer-plugins]
>> type=addons
>> name=Gstreamer plugins to play MP3,Xvid etc.
>> desc=Gstreamer plugins to play MP3,Xvid etc.
>> method=yum
>> repo=livna
>> packages=gstreamer-plugins-bad,gstreamer-plugins-ugly
>>

>> [nvidia]
>> type=drivers
>> name=Nvidia Drivers
>> desc=Nvidia Closed Source Driver with 3D support.
>> method=yum
>> repo=livna
>> packages=kmod-nvidia
>>
>> [yumex]
>> type=application
>> name=Yum Extender
>> desc=A GUI for the yum package manager
>> method=yum
>>

>> It is very easy in development, but it works.
>>
>> Tim
>
> you rock :) .
>
> but instead of using s-i-packages for the packages, we can run "yum
> install xxx" of "pirut --install xxx", if pirut has this feature (I
> wanted pirut to have --install, --update and --remove).
>
> bravissimo :) .

I am not using s-i-p, the tool was made to test some gui stuff and the
yum api.
It is not meant to be some you click on a link on a web page and then
you get the "crazy cracker repo" added to your setup and the latest
rootkit installed without any questions asked, if you want this kind of
features you have to install Windows :)

The idea was to have a way to give the user access to a featured list
application, to be installed/removed in an easy way.

Ex.
The Game SIG could maintain an ini files with featured Game in Fedora,
to make it easy for the users to install/remove these games.

Tim