pulseaudio causing crashing of applications

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 14:58:35 UTC 2008

Schlaegel wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:
>> It has been said before.  Imagine if someone left a mic snooping
>> program running on Session #1 while Session #2 came along and started
>> talking on the phone?  This kind of thing should be prevented BY
>> DEFAULT.
>
> But why does ownership go to the most recent session, instead of the
> first active session?
>
> In real life, an audience member does not automatically get exclusive
> use of the microphone a public speaker is speaking into, just because
> the audience member happened to be the last one to enter the room.
> Instead, if a public speaker is using a microphone, then he or she
> expects to be the exclusive user of that microphone until he or she
> sets it down, gives it to someone, or purposefully shares it.

Exactly!  I can see where the new unexpected default behavior might be
useful, but it should be a choice left up to local configuration.  Plus,
it doesn't make sense at all in the context of anything but a
1-user-at-a-time situation with only one device in action.  I rarely use
the physical console, preferring to use the NX client from another
machine, most of the time near enough that the speakers would be usable,
though.  And I wouldn't want a login on the physical console to
interrupt my remote  session.  It just doesn't make a lot of sense to
have permissions determined by where you are instead of who you are in
the first place, but what happens when there are multiple logins or you
add some extra usb sound devices and want to run concurrent sessions?

Where does bluetooth fit into this scheme?  If you have a phone call
going with a slightly remote bluetooth headset, does a user switch at
the keyboard for something unrelated break it?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com