Anaconda needs new locale thinking. (was Re: How important are ISO standards to Fedora?)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 22:53:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
>  I may use English US on my computer, but I measure using metric, and
>  format my dates DD-MM-YYYY and my printer uses A4.  Anaconda doesn't get
>  any of the latter right, and that's just plain wrong.

Here's a better question. Why are you using US English? Why aren't you
using another English locale?

I strongly believe that exposing locale customizations to the extent
necessary to make you happy in anaconda is a really dumb idea.  This
sort of stuff is a PER USER configuration which is too complicated for
the installer to need to mess with.

We set a sane default in the installer based on the locale, and then
the installer gets the hell out of the way.  if you want to make PER
USER customizations, then figure out a way to expose PER USER
customizations for the different locale based settings.

-jef