source file audit - 2008-02-14

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Fri Feb 15 17:30:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 12:21 +0000, Jonathan Underwood wrote:

> Personally, if you could script opening a BZ, I'd welcome that.

I don't like the idea of programs opening bugzilla reports.  Many issues
like this can change for reasons entirely out of my control (transient
network outage, breakage in underlying libraries or toolchain, etc.).

First, ideally we would have a way for people to contribute checks like
this for the Fedora infrastructure, rather than running it on their
personal computers.

Second, we should have a way for software to add to a "problem feed",
something that would be exported as RSS.  So for example, Matt's
"rebuild everything for rawhide" script could add a notice "your package
failed to rebuild".  This way I'd get notification, but if it was just
today's GCC or kernel or some underlying library being broken, the
problem just drops off naturally, without creating a task for me to deal
with.  Kevin's script could add an entry for "source link broken".

However if it *is* a bug in my package, then a human can come along and
click one link "Create bugzilla bug".

Perhaps the My Fedora infrastructure under development could provide
something like this.