Anaconda needs new locale thinking. (was Re: How important are ISO standards to Fedora?)

Christian Rose menthos at menthos.com
Fri Feb 15 19:24:50 UTC 2008

On 2/15/08, Pekka Pietikainen <pp at ee.oulu.fi> wrote:
[...]
>  > Here's a better question. Why are you using US English? Why aren't you
>  > using another English locale?
>
> Brits spell some words in a funny way (I wonder if anyone bothers
>  "translating" US vs. brit spelling in software tho) ;)

Stop wondering, there are people that do that, and it's been done for
years. The're are even people who translate into en_CA...

[...]
>  A possiblity would be to add some heuristics to do en_GB.UTF-8 if you choose
>  Europe/London as the timezone, en_IE.UTF-8 if you choose Europe/Dublin etc.
>  Some extra code in anaconda, probably a better end-user experience too.

That's just a special case of a bigger problem... No need to special
case this and treat English by its own.

Consider this use case instead: A Spanish user in South America. How
many Spanish locales does Anaconda offer? How many Spanish speaking
countries are there in the world?
I bet most of them aren't too happy with es_ES locale defaults... it's
not like they are using EUR as currency in South America.

If you separate LANGUAGE (in this example Spanish) from LOCATION (for
example, Costa Rica) in Anaconda, you solve almost all these problems
too.

Christian