pulseaudio causing crashing of applications

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 20:33:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>  How can you resist (or consider) learning something when there's not
>  even a mechanism exposed to interface with it?

Huh? Policy is defined as a set of text files.  We already have
examples of non-default policy right now in a packages.

On my F8 system right now... Ive got 2 software package provided
policy files.. which deal with access granting.. that are NOT part of
the default policy that comes with hal.

rpm -qf /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/90-grant-audio-devices-to-gdm.fdi
rpm -qf /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-hplip.fdi hplip-2.7.12-4.fc8

>  But my concern at this point isn't with the details of 'how' to make the
>  change I'd want, it is whether it will be possible at all in the likely
>  scenarios.

Until you make an effort to understand the policy syntax... there is
no answer that will satisfy you.  If you were going to trust my
opinion on the matter, you'd already be swayed.
I challenge you to make an effort to understand the syntax of those to
fdi files as examples.
Hell the gdm one actually deals with audio device granting, so it
already in the ballpark for what you sort of care about.

I'm comfortable enough with my understanding of the policy syntax to
feel confident that policy can be written to deal with any usb device
needs that I may encounter. In fact I'm trying to write policy for
specialized usb devices right now, devices that has to be access
through libusb calls in a C program I'm writing.

-jef