Anaconda needs new locale thinking. (was Re: How important are ISO standards to Fedora?)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Feb 16 11:12:10 UTC 2008

Le vendredi 15 février 2008 à 21:08 +0100, Hans de Goede a écrit :
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Christian Rose (menthos at menthos.com) said:
> >> If you separate LANGUAGE (in this example Spanish) from LOCATION (for
> >> example, Costa Rica) in Anaconda, you solve almost all these problems
> >> too.
> >
> > ... assuming all those language/locale combinations exist. Which unfortunately,
> > they don't.
> >

> Then maybe first make him select a language and then show all the "locations"
> that exist for that location in a seperate screen?

What the windows installer got right and we still didn't is allowing
customization (This is probably the single part of the windows
installer which is still more advanced than anaconda). You can select
your preferred IM, your country and then override various things like
numeric date format (from a lib of standard formats or even construct
your own custom format).

This is much more user friendly than expecting the right default to
exist in glibc, and users to know it. Let alone expecting users to
manage to get a new variant included in glibc.

--
Nicolas Mailhot