pulseaudio causing crashing of applications

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 18:13:42 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
>>>
>>> Bwha? Do you actually expect people to read, much less understand,
>>> those?
>>
>>    [ ] Don't share my audio
>>    [ ] Share my audio
>
> That looks silly. Why are there are two check boxes for what appears to
> be toggling a single setting?

It was in response to not understanding the first choices - and still
not quite right.  It really needs to be a 2-step setting:

    [ ] Don't share audio access
       If that is checked, then pick who wins
       [ ] First come, first served
       [ ] Last login cuts off established session

But that still doesn't describe what I'd want to happen for input
devices, which is that the first open gets exclusive access and keeps it
until the application releases it, after which it could be opened by
some other application that gets exclusive control on a first come,
first served basis without regard to which session is connected to a
nearby keyboard.   A warning message at session startup might be
appropriate (sort of like a vmware boot where some other VM has already
taken a requested host device) if it notices a device in use that it
expects to be available - and it might offer an option to lock the
devices pre-emptively to ensure future availability and prevent
camera/microphone snooping in scenarios where that would matter. If if
does the latter, it should be effective against root access as well.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com