Asterisk 1.6 in Fedora

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Tue Feb 19 17:54:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 11:23 -0600, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> I'm sure that some of you have noticed that Digium has started
> releasing betas of Asterisk 1.6 (beta3 was just released).  At this
> point in time (less than two weeks to the feature freeze), I think
> that I'm going to wait until F9 is branched in the package CVS to
> introduce Asterisk 1.6 into Rawhide.  So F10 would be the first
> release of Fedora to contain Asterisk.  I plan on introducing Asterisk
> 1.6 into EPEL6 once RHEL6 is available.
>
> However, since we do have two weeks until feature freeze, I'm willing
> to listen to arguments to put Asterisk 1.6 into F9 now...

If we're going to base things on versions, then I'd say put it in since
it's in high BETA (beta3, you said). We had an even more critical server
come in while it was in alpha (named) so a beta3 should be good.

As someone currently shipping production systems based off of Fedora and
Asterisk, I'd be very interested in getting the management features and
a couple of others available in Asterisk 1.6. I usually let the stable
series simmer for a couple of months anyway (2 to 3) before I decide to
release or rollback to an older version. It'd be nice if I could get F9
stable and Asterisk 1.6 final as an update to the beta to simmer a bit.

Asterisk is itself moving to a shorter release cycle. Seems to match
nicely with Fedora's pace.

Finally, feedback from the Asterisk mailing lists seem to indicate that
they're making more conservative changes than Fedora with each iteration
so even their beta3 should be considerably stable.
--

Richi Plana