rawhide and cooker compared

Casey Dahlin cjdahlin at ncsu.edu
Wed Feb 20 23:52:59 UTC 2008

Austin Acton wrote:
> This may or may not be of any use to you.  It's not meant to be a bug
> report.  It's just my back to back comparison of two distros that people
> think of as being similar or related or in competition for users.  Due
> to the nature of development snapshots, some of the information is out
> of date already (like ondemand scaling, it's fixed).  Hopefully, at the
> very least, someone at Fedora finds it useful to see what works and what
> users like.
>
> "I've done a crazy thing. I installed the development versions of
> Mandriva Linux (Cooker) and Fedora (Rawhide) back to back on the same
> laptop and compared the results. I was very surprised with the results,
> so I spent several hours trying to make them legible to others. They are
> biased, personal, and hardware-specific, but if you're interested in the
> state of rpm-based linux distros, do check out Rawhide vs. Cooker."
>
> http://groundstate.ca/rawhide-cooker/
>
> Austin

We won! :) 4 more green boxes!

Seriously, its an interesting comparison. I particularly like that the
criticized points all translate into actionable things. So many linux
reviews come out with "it smells funny" kind of criticisms that nobody
can really do anything with.

Of course both of these are dev branches, so its expected that they are
both rather broken, but still interesting.

--CJD