someone interested in packaging VirtualBox?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Feb 24 14:01:45 UTC 2008

On 24.02.2008 14:46, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:18:11 -0500
> seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 20:12 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
>>> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 01:40:00AM +0100, Christoph Höger wrote:
>>>  > I've noticed that there seems to be no review request for virtualbox so
>>>  > far. I think it would be great to have this opensource vmware killer in
>>>  > the repos but currently I am not quite sure if I could manage to package
>>>  > it all alone.
>>>  >
>>>  > Is someone willing to support me in this area. I would do the main work
>>>  > and mainly need someone to ask dumb questions and make sure things go
>>>  > the fedora way. Maybe someone who is already packaging some virt related
>>>  > stuff?
>>> The kernel module for this is way too ugly to live.
>> And, iirc, fedora does not allow external-from-the-kernel modules.
> We do.  But it has to have someone willing to maintain it, actively work
> on getting it upstream, and have davej's approval.

For a outsider this must look confusing, so I'll try to clarify ;-)

What skvidal afaics meant: Fedora does not allow separately packaged
kernel modules in its repos (e.g. dkms, kmod or kmdls packages).

What jwb meant afaics: Modules that are not in the upstream kernel can
be integrated into Fedora's kernel srpm and thus shipped with the Fedora
kernel.

What this means for VirtualBox afaics: As Davej doesn't like the code to
much it's seems unlikely that he'll include the source code for the
VirtualBox kernel modules into Fedora's kernel package. As VirtualBox
doesn't work without those it doesn't make much sense to include it
(albeit some people might disagree).

Christoph, your best bet afaics thus are 3rd party repos.

HTH

Cu
knurd