someone interested in packaging VirtualBox?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 18:40:43 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

>>> It should use the KVM module driver, and if the current functionality in
>>>>
>>> Well, that would be quite a challenge.
>> Especially on x86 32-bit processors that KVM doesn't support... Or for
>> people who want the option of moving their virtual machines to a windows
>> host.  The functionality doesn't seem the same at all.
>
> I didn't say it was easy - just that if you ever want VirtualBox to be a
> part of the mainstream Fedora kernels it is going to have to stop duplicating
> functionality already present & work with Linux kernel developers. What
> VirtualBox does for kernel drivers on Windows is utterly irrelevant & need
> not share any code with the Linux support, nor mandate what the Linux
> support looks like.

And what you are saying here is irrelevant to people who want their
virtual machines to be portable.  KVM simply isn't useful to them and
you make fedora less useful as well by not including virtualbox.  If you
want KVM to be the only virtualization solution, that should happen only
after KVM provides equivalent functionality.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com