Fedora 9 Feature Freeze Approaching--All Feature Owners Please Read

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Tue Feb 26 16:59:45 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> Le Mar 26 février 2008 17:10, Horst H. von Brand a écrit :

> > All well and good, but right now rawhide is /very/ broken:
> >
> > - X doesn't get along with keyboards and mice
>
> This seems mainly a config problem, right?

Looks that way, but no solution is forthcomming. And the partial solutions
that float around work fine (OK, for somewhat peculiar definitions of
"fine") for some, and not at all for others (right now, I'm mostly in the
"others" category ;-).

> > I don't remember an upcomming Red Hat/Fedora release in which rawhide
> > was this badly broken.
>
> Oh, the powers of selective memory...

I remember times of great turmoil and breakage when new compilers or new X
or new GNOME or new OOo were introduced, then things calmed down a bit
(sure, some pieces I used daily sometimes were still quite broken, but
nothing really rock-bottom ground of the system) before calls for "feature
freezes" and such came out. This round feels different (gcc-4.3 betas,
firefox betas, radical reworking of X, ...).