system-* tools' ui independence

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek jakub.rusinek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 18:35:00 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram pisze:
> Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
>> Nils Philippsen pisze:
>>>
>>> I say that our tools using gtk/pygtk doesn't discriminate against KDE a
>>> bit. If having a GTK app on KDE would be such an abomination to the
>>> eyes, surely someone would have come up with a theme which resembles
>>> Qt/KDE so closely nobody would notice. Or are there any interop issues
>>> still open -- what doesn't work because these tools use GTK?
>>>
>>> Nils
>>
>> GTK is not so compatible with Qt.
>
> What does compatibility mean here and why does that matter for the
> desktop environment?
>
> Rahul

Actually, I mean KDE, because:

1) When GTK app running in KDE, KDE's icons are not displayed in that app.

2) When KDE desktop's menu enabled, GTK apps won't show their menu there.

FreeDesktop.org must work on this to provide desktop-agnostic and
dbus-based menubar protocol.
Then GNOME could implement this too.