sense of packaging firefox' addons?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 10:07:20 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 27 février 2008 à 13:22 -0800, Andrew Farris a écrit :
>
>> The builtin firefox addon update system works far faster for most desktop users
>> than getting a new rpm packaged, built, and shipped...
>
> I works far faster for update freaks that love hunting the internet for
> software bits and always update to the latest version. It's pretty
> useless for the large class of users who want their apps to just work
> and are not willing to invest large parts of their time in extension
> hunting. And some extensions have been known to have security holes, so
> relying on users to update extensions when all do not is going to bite
> us sooner or later.

On a multi-user system yes, I suppose that is worrisome.  But on a single user
desktop, even in an enterprise environment.. you're assuming that a user is more
likely to apply updates when packagekit tells them they are available versus the
browser checking every time it opens for the day?  I highly doubt it.  If you're
manually installing their desktops updates yourself then... you have a point,
but you also could be fixing it already if this is what you're doing.

You could be deploying a preconfigured and updated firefox profile which is
ridiculously simple to achieve.  In fact, you don't even need it to be fully
writable for firefox to work, so you could prevent it from changing.