Final Warning: Orphanarium to be Nuked

Casey Dahlin cjdahlin at ncsu.edu
Fri Feb 29 17:49:03 UTC 2008

Warren Togami wrote:
> Patrice Dumas wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 01:57:34PM -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
>>> Has Co-Owners but no primary owner
>>> ==================================
>>> debootstrap
>>
>> I would prefer if somebody else was the primary maintainer. Is someone
>> interested?
>>
>> --
>> Pat
>>

> Why was this added to Fedora then immediately abandoned?  If nobody is
> willing to be maintainer then we cannot responsibly maintain it.  It
> should be removed.  If somebody thereafter is willing to maintain it
> can always be re-added.
>
> Warren

"debootstrap is used to create a Debian base system from scratch, without
requiring the availability of dpkg or apt.  It does this by downloading
.deb files from a mirror site, and carefully unpacking them into a
directory which can eventually be chrooted into."

Why do we have this in the first place? I'm not against Debian or the
downloading thereof, but... I really cannot think of any real Fedora use
case for this. Maybe I'm unimaginative today?

--CJD