file dependencies and packages and [blocker] bugs

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 29 21:18:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 20:03 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Okay, these are mine (which I already knew without looking at the report, as I
> very deliberately added the filedeps):
>
> /usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf
> xblast-0:2.10.4-5.fc9.i386
> chess-0:1.0-12.fc9.i386
>
> /usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSans-BoldOblique.ttf
> sdljava-demo-0:0.9.1-9.fc9.i386
>
> /usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf
> sdljava-demo-0:0.9.1-9.fc9.i386
>
> /usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSans-Oblique.ttf
> sdljava-demo-0:0.9.1-9.fc9.i386
>
> /usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf
> sdljava-demo-0:0.9.1-9.fc9.i386
>

> The problem with these packages is that the application in question (==
> game-ish app, using its own fontrending) opens these fonts by filename. not
> true any known font configuration mechanism.
>
> Combine this with the fact that fonts change both location and name regulary,
> and a simple dep on the font providing package wont't do. With these (not
> pretty) file deps I actually get broken deps reports send to me when this
> happens. Don't believe me? This is from the sdljava-demo changelog:

Define 'regularly' for the fonts changing locations? Also - If they are
changing so often why don't we talk to the font maintainers and get that
to stop moving around?

> On the postive site, very few people have either of these installed, so I guess
> the best solution here is to notfix. But I'm open for other ways of catching
> filename changes in another package without using file deps.

It makes things like repoclosure take longer to run b/c it has to go get
the filelists to resolve it all out.

Don't you think we should be able to do something to make this situation
better or even rarer?

-sv