Debian style net-install ISOs (from FudCON Raleigh)

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Fri Feb 1 06:45:55 UTC 2008

Jima wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Nils Philippsen wrote:
>> One thing that's missing is decent support for having the Internet
>> connection directly on the machine, i.e. we can't rely on a DSL router
>> being present which provides the Internet connection. To do that we'd
>> need the PPPoe bits in the installer image and appropriate code in
>> anaconda. Bonus points if the upgrade method would pull the DSL
>> configuration bits from the already installed OS.
>>
>> NB: I guess something similar goes for cable modems.
>
>  I've dealt with a lot of cable modems, but none that come to mind
> require software on the computer other than a TCP/IP stack.  (MAC
> address registration crap aside.)  DSL with PPPoE authentication is a
> bit of a corner case (but a valid one!).
Around here (Eastern Eastern very Eastern Europe) the PPPoE option is
extremely used. Probably the second choice after FTTH
And most linux users prefer to put the modem in bridged mode and handle
PPPoE on the linux box itself, otherwise having the box accessible from
the outside world becomes quite difficult due to the filters existing in
the modem.