Firefox and Epiphany crash after today's updates

Lamont Peterson lamont at lamontpeterson.org
Fri Feb 1 18:30:01 UTC 2008

On Friday 01 February 2008 10:30:02 am Michel Salim wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2008 12:10 PM, Michel Salim <michel.sylvan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > At the risk of furthering this thread (and since Mozilla people are
> > hopeless on font issues), is anyone else noticing font rendering
> > regressions with Firefox/xulrunner 20080130? It feels like going back
> > from Deja to Luxi -- the fonts are smaller and thinner. Even in the
> > user interface.
>
> The font situation was bad already before, but now to get a font size
> equivalent to 11 on the desktop, I had to tell Firefox to use size 20!

This is certainly not authoritative information, but...

As I understand it, Firefox intentionally "shrinks" the fonts because that's
what IE does and, therefore, lots of websites use bigger fonts than they
should.  Or, the sequence of events was the other way around, i.e., as people
built lots of webpages with oversized fonts, Microsoft changed IE (bit by
bit?) to "shrink" them.

I'm not really sure this information will help to improve the situation or
not.  Personally, I think that Firefox has become sufficiently pervasive on
Windows that they could "dial it back" towards being more standards
compliant.  When I say, "I want that to be 11 points," I usually really do
mean it.  Of course, I can already hear a big discussion both ways on this
one.
Lamont Peterson <lamont at lamontpeterson.org
[ http://lamontpeterson.org/ ]
GPG Key fingerprint: C51E DD83 B03F D147 A974  939C 5D13 289C 17F1 FFBE