yum and yum-updatesd in Rawhide

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 06:02:33 UTC 2008

James Antill wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 18:42 -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
>
>> I suppose that might be because I'm not understanding how we decide if a group
>> is installed or not.
>
>  Very likely. There are no "installed groups"

So grouplist then determines what groups are 'installed' and available by simply
whether or not you happen to have all packages listed in a group installed..
making the group then 'installed'.  I incorrectly thought it was already
maintained whether a group was or was not installed, as well as then whether all
the packages were still present.

>  When you run "yum groupinstall" you are, in reality, just installing
> the set of packages in the group(s) listed and the result is exactly the
> same as if you had listed the packages manually and used "yum install".
> Dito. "yum groupremove" and "yum remove".

That I always understood.  The lacking metadata is then whether a group is
installed (by accident) or by request.  The difference being if someone just
happened to install almost all of a group manually, then having a groupinstall
command for a different group end up fulfilling the entire other group (by
accident).

So achieving two understandings of groupremove is not then possible without more
metadata, because it is ambiguous whether a group is installed intentionally or
happens to be 'installed' incidentally.  Thank you for pointing out the root
issue with making it happen.