Plan for tomorrows (20080207) FESCO meeting

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 02:57:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:36:57 -0500
Brian Pepple <bpepple at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> You want something to be discussed? Send a note to the list in reply
> to this mail and I'll add it to the schedule (I can't promise we will
> get to it tomorrow).  You can also propose topics in the meeting
> while it is in the "Free discussion around Fedora" phase.

I'd like a topic added to the list, discussion/approval of a plan to
enact a mass rebuild for gcc4.3.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating/gcc43MassRebuildProposal

= gcc 4.3 Mass Rebuild =
[[TableOfContents()]]

= Overview =

== Problem Space ==
## Describe the problem this proposal seeks to solve
GCC4.3 is a [:Features/GCC4.3: feature] for Fedora 9.  It has been tested on the side quite a bit and introduced into dist-f9 buildroots on January 30th.  The maintainer (jakub) has asked us to rebuild all gcc build packages against it for Fedora 9.  For maximum testing and bugfixing, the rebuilds need to be accomplished prior to the Fedora 9 Beta Freeze, currently [:Releases/9/Schedule: scheduled] for March 4th, 2008.

== Solution Overview ==
## Describe in brief the solution proposed
 * Identify packages needing to be built
  * not noarch
  * gcc < 4.3 used in buildroot
 * Present list, continually updated, broken down by package maintainer
 * Allow maintainers to rebuild on their own for a period of time
 * At a certain point, script rebuilding the rest
 * File bugs for build failures, attach to tracker

I'm still waiting to hear from Jakub as to when he would like some rebuilds to start, maintainer driven.  In order to reasonably accomplish the scripted rebuilds by the Beta freeze, releng would need to start the scripted auto rebuilds by Feb 18th.  However releng may not be able to start /earlier/ due to needing to make way for the perl-5.0.10 landing which will cause a lot of churn to be dealt with.

== Scope ==
## Describe what all things will be affected by the proposal
This task will touch on cvs and koji.

== Active Ingredients ==
## Optional, describe the main action of the proposal
There are two real main active ingredients.  One is the script to identify packages that need rebuilding.  The other is the script to check out, bump spec, commit, and build the packages.  These are actively being worked on, and will be described here as they emerge.

= Discussion Points =
## Describe things which should be discussed regarding the proposal.  Specifics that need narrowing down, or contentions parts of the proposal.
 * Where to store the list of builds needed
 * Allow some way of 'opting out' of a scripted rebuild
 * What to do about non-responsive maintainers for failed builds
 * When to start asking folks to rebuild on their own

== Comments ? ==
## A section provided for comments

== Owners ==
## A list of people who "own" the proposal
JesseKeating

JakubJelinek

--
Jesse Keating