a plan for updates after end of life

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Sun Feb 10 21:41:42 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 07:48:07PM -0300, Horst H. von Brand wrote:

[...]

> > Sorry to disagree, but I've seen users of Red Hat 7.3 who are completely
> > oblivious to the fact that there will be no more updates to the
> > distribution. And others who never bothered to update anything at all.

> > In my (limited) experience, people don't update unless it happens
> > automatically, or something important breaks visibly.

> I think that it really depends on the user.

Sure does.

>                                             For the users you describe
> having partial updates is indeed better than having no updates at all.

I'm not so sure it would make a difference one way or the other for those
users.

> But I think that Jeff had in mind sysadmins who use fedora in a
> plannified way and want to be able to predict when they'll need to do
> the switch.

Also my point. And if the regular Fedora EOL isn't enough, a "8 months, or
perhaps 2, more than that" promise won't cut it. We used Fedora on servers
of labs at the university. Sometimes the new release fell into inconvenient
times in the term, so we just weathered it out 'till term end (as long as
it was before EOL). Sometimes we would have liked to extend its use another
term (when some new Fedora turned out less-than-stellar, or the new release
was too close to term start for decent testing before commiting for
production use). But if there was no firm date for definitive EOL, this
won't work. So we switched the servers over to CentOS (mostly the same
administration, much longer life) and kept the stations on Fedora (latest
glitter, exactly what our userbase expects).