Package naming guidelines questions

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 00:41:31 UTC 2008

Jerry James wrote:
> In the section entitled, "Multiple packages with the same base name",
> the package naming guidelines state that one package should use the
> base name with no version, and all others should include the version
> in their names.  I have two questions about this.
>
> First, is the intent that the most recent version of the package be
> the one with no version number, or is that left up to the
> maintainer(s) to decide?  If the latter, and the maintainers decide to
> make an older version be the one with no number, what should happen
> when that package is retired?  I started thinking about this in
> conjunction with the call for help with the Java guidelines.  We
> currently have an "asm2" package, because there used to be an "asm"
> package.  The name of the upstream project is just "asm", so the
> "asm2" package is currently violating the naming guidelines.

It's up to the maintainer.  It is certainly preferable for the
maintainer to follow upstream but this can mean different thing in
different packages.

> Second, is the use of the word "compat" in the name, as in
> "compat-libstdc++-33", considered mandatory, desirable, undesirable,
> something else?

Compat packages are generally different from what is currently
documented in the naming guidelines.  There was talk of writing
guidelines for compat- packages but no one has done that yet.

The guidelines are covering things like gtk and gtk2 where you want to
have two parallel versions of a library where either can be built
against.  compat- packages are generally runtime-only.  I don't know if
java has the separation of devel bits and runtime bits so I don't know
if this makes sense for them.

> So, running with the previous example, should we
> rename "asm2" to "compat-asm2" and make the upcoming "asm3" package be
> named "asm"?

Up to the maintainer whether to use asm for the latest or the earliest
package.  Whether to use compat- needs a better understanding of java in
general and what you want to enable with the asm package in particular.

-Toshio