How important are ISO standards to Fedora?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 09:51:42 UTC 2008

� wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:

>>> Fedora's default papersize setting... where?
>>>

>> Take a close look at the file cupshelpers.py
>>
>> in system-config-printer
>>
>> Letter is selected by default only for a small number of specific
>> locales.  What more do you want? Blood?
>>
>> If you are going to argue that we should make A4 the default, even for
>> en_US and en_CA... locations where printers can be assumed that Letter
>> sized paper is what is in the trays... you and I are going to have a
>> serious discussion about balancing usability against idealism.
>>
>> -jef"You want A4 to be the default for en_US, meet me on the steps of
>> the capital building in DC and spend a week championing the cause of
>> metric system adoption.  You'll know who I am. I'll be the one holding
>> the medications with your name on the bottle"spaleta
>>

> +1 Fedora should default to the ISO standard..
>
> Best regards.
>                Johann B.

I suspect you might not have interpreted Jef's sarcasm quite right, because I
don't read him as +1 for changing anything there.  Any choice of 'default' in
paper sizes would simply be wrong somewhere... the only reasonable thing Fedora
'should' do is choose the most likely default based on locale.  Maybe some more
work needs done on that (which is a configuration issue).