How important are ISO standards to Fedora?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Feb 13 09:55:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 21:35 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2008 9:20 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 12, 2008 9:05 PM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
> > > Wouldn't it be more correct for Fedora to default to the ISO standard
> > > for paper (A4, etc) than to the US standard for paper (letter, etc)?
> >
> > Fedora's default papersize setting... where?
>
> Take a close look at the file cupshelpers.py
>
> in system-config-printer
>
> Letter is selected by default only for a small number of specific
> locales.  What more do you want? Blood?

Actually, I'd just like it to work.

I've been using Redhat and Fedora since version Redhat 6.0. And I
upgrade with almost every new release.  In that time I've have to tell
my computer I'm an A4 user.  For example, I'm using Fedora 8 at the
moment and yet again, I've had to inform a bunch of applications that
I'm an A4 user. Again.

> If you are going to argue that we should make A4 the default, even for
> en_US and en_CA... locations where printers can be assumed that Letter
> sized paper is what is in the trays... you and I are going to have a
> serious discussion about balancing usability against idealism.

If you made A4 the default, and then changed it for en_US and en_CA then
what I'm asking for above would probably work.

R.

> -jef"You want A4 to be the default for en_US, meet me on the steps of
> the capital building in DC and spend a week championing the cause of
> metric system adoption.  You'll know who I am. I'll be the one holding
> the medications with your name on the bottle"spaleta

 It's much better on my side"