pulseaudio causing crashing of applications

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 18:33:27 UTC 2008

Lennart Poettering wrote:

>> Lennart Poettering <mzerqung <at> 0pointer.de> writes:
>>> This is somewhat expected behaviour. Access to the audio device
>>> follows the active session on the display. I.e. if you switch VTs than
>>> ConsoleKit+HAL will change the ACLs of the audio devices and tell PA
>>> to stop accessing the audio device. This will cause playback to pause
>>> for all applications accessing PA. However, as soon as you switch back
>>> the session, the playback should continue. This is not perfect
>>> however, since we don't inform Gst/Rhyhtmbox that the audio device is
>>> temporarily stopped (there's no way to do that afaik).
>> Have you considered just muting the sound rather than blocking the
>> applications? The obvious drawback is that the user doesn't automatically get
>> back to where he/she left, but on the other hand, you can't really expect sound
>> applications to know how to handle a blocked sound device, and it is also
>> application-specific whether returning to where you left is a good or bad idea
>> (think of a live stream, for example: in that case, returning to where you left
>> might not even be possible, and if it is, it's usually not what the user
>> wants).
>
> It's a bit difficult to continue streaming audio based on the sound
> cards clock if you don't have access to the sound card anymore.

Does this mean you should always use Xnest, NX client, vnc, ssh, etc,
instead of VTs to get login sessions that don't accidentally grab
unrelated hardware ownership?  That seems backwards if what you really
want is an audio player as a server that isn't tied to a particular
login session.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com