How important are ISO standards to Fedora?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Feb 14 10:07:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 15:56 +1000, Jens Petersen wrote:
> It may be hard to do in system-config-date, but getting the default
> right would be nice I agree.
>
> Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> > [rodd at localhost system-config-printer]$ echo $LC_PAPER
> > [rodd at localhost system-config-printer]$ echo $LC_MESSAGES
>
> Try running "locale".

[rodd at localhost ~]$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
[rodd at localhost ~]$

So, let me get this straight.  All of this was set because I said I
wanted my computer to speak English (USA)?

If this is the case, then anaconda really needs a little more smarts
than making the assumption that because I choose to use a language I
must live where that language is spoken.  Maybe anaconda needs to ask a
for more questions about my location before setting my locale?

R.

 It's much better on my side"