pulseaudio causing crashing of applications

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 15:57:27 UTC 2008

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 07:54:15AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> Because the device changes ownership
>> Traditional unix behavior is that open file descriptors stay open and
>> working even if access permissions change.
>
> Actually no. The tty behaviour has been different since the earliest days
> for precisely these reasons

But your /dev/tty is different from my /dev/tty and they stay that way
if we are both logged in.

>> turn instead of rudely breaking a working process).  I can see where
>> this might make sense on the VT keyboard since that device is
>> necessarily shared during the procedure.  But it doesn't make any more
>> sense to interrupt a running phone or music player session because
>> someone else is temporarily using a certain keybord than it would to
>> break a running tape backup for the same circumstance.  Or at least this
>> should be left as an easily chosen local policy.
>
> And local policy should defalt to security first.

That's fine if there is a sane, documented method to manage policy.

>> the first session being interrupted has root access anyway and could
>> bypass the access restrictions the switch tries to impose.  Wouldn't it
>> be better to kernel locking or some mechanism that can really ensure
>> exclusive access for situations like a phone session?
>
> VT switch locking policy is handled by X, and by X clients, the kernel just
> implements the rules.

How does this relate to sessions not tied to a local keyboard?  That is,
if my session is via freenx, will a console login break access to the
audio devices?

> Your objections really make no rational sense anyway, you don't "accidentally"
> switch sessions to another user.

The accidental part is the idea that a certain keyboard is somehow
related to other devices.  That might be true in some cases, but it is
just circumstantial.   If someone is listening to music through speakers
or has a phone call going he may not be near the keyboard, and someone
else logging in to check their mail would have no relationship at all to
the audio devices.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com