pulseaudio causing crashing of applications

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 17:19:48 UTC 2008

Lennart Poettering wrote:

>>> Because the device changes ownership
>> Traditional unix behavior is that open file descriptors stay open and
>> working even if access permissions change.
>
> Yes, and you know what? Unix sucks.

Unix is a nice simple generalized system.  The only thing that sucks
about it is that every person who has touched it trying to make it work
better in some specialized situation has invented their own bizarre and
unique configuration language with syntax as different as possible from
every other specialization.  To the point that you can neither see the
simplicity nor deal with all the bolted-on afterthoughts.  In any case,
making it only work like a single-user toy OS that makes bad assumptions
about devices isn't the way to fix it.

> Just because something is the way Unix is doing it it doesn't mean
> it's right. Also, Solaris has had frevoke() for some time, and we'll
> hopefully get it on Linux soon, too. And when we have that, we can
> kick any process from any fd at any time. Awesome! A Unix lover's
> nightmare... Muahahaha!

There's nothing wrong with having the capabilities to do these things.
It is wrong to change defaults in a surprising way, its wrong to give
permissions according to where you are instead of who you are, and its
wrong to add default policy changes before documenting the way to manage
them locally in unsurprising ways.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com