Anaconda needs new locale thinking. (was Re: How important are ISO standards to Fedora?)

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Thu Feb 14 22:37:37 UTC 2008

Linus Walleij wrote:

> The important question to ask is whether there are apps/libs out there
> that get trouble unless the LC_* vars are actually different. glibc will
> likely survive, since it has all of these settings.

I've had these in my .bash_env for a few years now, and had no problems
so far:

declare -x LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_ALL=""
declare -x LC_CTYPE="nb_NO.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_NUMERIC="nb_NO.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_TIME="nb_NO.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_COLLATE="nb_NO.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_MONETARY="nb_NO.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_PAPER="nb_NO.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_NAME="nb_NO.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_ADDRESS="nb_NO.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_TELEPHONE="nb_NO.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_MEASUREMENT="nb_NO.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_IDENTIFICATION="nb_NO.UTF-8"

It does not fix everything, but it is better than nothing.
(But I had to set the all manually, and it only works for my user ofcourse).

/Ola (T)

--