Anaconda needs new locale thinking. (was Re: How important are ISO standards to Fedora?)

Yanko Kaneti yaneti at declera.com
Sat Feb 16 12:21:22 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 12:12 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le vendredi 15 février 2008 à 21:08 +0100, Hans de Goede a écrit :
> > Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > >
> > > ... assuming all those language/locale combinations exist. Which unfortunately,
> > > they don't.
> > >

> > Then maybe first make him select a language and then show all the "locations"
> > that exist for that location in a seperate screen?
>
> What the windows installer got right and we still didn't is allowing
> customization (This is probably the single part of the windows
> installer which is still more advanced than anaconda). You can select
> your preferred IM, your country and then override various things like
> numeric date format (from a lib of standard formats or even construct
> your own custom format).
>
> This is much more user friendly than expecting the right default to
> exist in glibc, and users to know it. Let alone expecting users to
> manage to get a new variant included in glibc.

A <sarcasm> tag missing?. Please, this is so completely backwards.

IMO targeting Joe Average means only choices of UI language and
location.  And for that matter it would be good if these two are auto
preselected based on whatever data the installer could gather (bios
settings, real IP).

The duple of UI language and location should give enough for reasonable
defaults everywhere, not having those defaults, in glibc or other parts
of the stack should be considered a bug.