Asterisk 1.6 in Fedora

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Feb 19 19:12:17 UTC 2008

On 2/19/08, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:50:49 -0900
> "Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You could create an initial package, after the isos are pressed and
> > drop it into updates-testing. Make a moderate fuss about its existance
> > and drive early adopters/testers to try it and report back in bodhi.
> > Once your satisfied you can push it to updates-released.
>
> Depending on various hand-wavy factors, doing that can make users
> annoyed.  Maybe Jeffery is wanting to avoid upgrading people in a
> stable release.

Yeah, I basically have set a personal policy for the Fedora Asterisk
packages to avoid upgrading to a new Asterisk major version in a
stable Fedora release.  New major versions of Asterisk will always be
introduced into Rawhide. So F7 and F8 will always have 1.4.x.  If F9
goes GA with 1.4.x it'll stay at 1.4.x.  Heavy users of Asterisk are
notoriously averse to upgrading - there are still probably a lot
Asterisk PBXs out there running on 2.4 *kernels* let alone newer
versions of Asterisk.  Many Asterisk PBXs still run Asterisk 1.2
(which is still being supported by Digium).

Jeff