Make modules for non detected hardware automatically load at boot (udev?)

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 22:14:33 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 20 February 2008 05:04:16 pm Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> Hans de Goede pisze:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've been working on some improvement for the lm_sensors init script and
> > then I realized that all this script does is load a list of kernel
> > modules, where the list comes from a config file generated by
> > sensors-detect.
> >
> > Thus I wondered if there wasn't some location where sensors-detect could
> > drop a file with a list of modules, and then have them automatically
> > loaded at boot by something (I guess by udev). Then the initscript could
> > go away entirely.
> >
> > Thanks & Regards,
> >
> > Hans
>
> I think I should do the same (modify init script) for LIRC, since now I
> start it with /etc/rc.local...

Why do you start it from rc.local? It works just fine for me if I start it
from its initscript. Of course, that's for usb receivers, which have proper
modaliases set up, so the drivers auto-load properly... I do vaguely recall
writing a little /etc/sysconfig/modules/lirc.modules thingy to auto-load lirc
drivers if specified in modprobe.conf... (i.e., 'alias char-major-61
lirc_i2c' in modprobe.conf would lead to lirc_i2c auto-loading). But
certainly, loading from rc.local isn't necessary. But really, I think the
best place to fix this is in the lirc drivers themselves. Oh, hrm, serial
receivers... Crap. Never mind.

But anyhow, I'm a co-maintainer on the lirc packages, and maintain the lirc
patches carried in the Fedora kernel, so please keep me in the loop. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com