rawhide report: 20080220 changes

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Feb 20 23:17:21 UTC 2008

> * Wed Feb 20 2008 Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com> - 4.0-6.0.4
> - First attempt at addressing the GCC 4.3 build, which failed on x86_64
>   because ptrace-abi.h (included by ptrace.h) uses the "u32" typedef,
>   which relies on <asm/types.h>, and include/asm-x86_64/types.h
>   does not not typedef u32 as done in include/asm-x86/types.h.

Hm. Did you send a patch to the upstream kernel to fix that? We
shouldn't be using that 'u32' abomination in user-visible headers.

If it's something which libc might include for itself, we have to avoid
standard C types and use '__u32' to avoid namespace 'pollution'.

Otherwise, as seems to be the case here, we can just require <stdint.h>
and use the proper 'uint32_t' type.

--
dwmw2