default mail client

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 01:57:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 11:48 +1000, Jens Petersen wrote:
> I am writing this mail as a long time Fedora user, not so much as a
> Fedora developer, so feel free to flame away, etc: though I am not
> really trying to start painful flame-war here...
>
> For a long time (actually as long as I can remember;) I wondered why
> Evolution was our default Mail application (MUA).  I was a long time
> user of Emacs MUAs, so I feel my background is fairly neutral - but I
> have never been able to use Evolution for long.  These days I use
> Thunderbird since alas I gradually found Emacs too slow for imap.  I am
> not married to Thunderbird but it mostly does what I want it and it is
> pretty stable at least

Anecdotal evidence... here is some anecdotal counter-evicence: I've used
Emacs MUAs in the past too, but have been using Evolution without any
big issues for many years now. And in my experience, people who tend to
have a problem with their mail client switch from evo to thunderbird and
back in quick succession, because the alternative is even worse...

> So what are the arguments for keeping Evolution as the default Mail
> application in Fedora?  This question seems particularly relevant now
> with things like the Lightning calendar extension and the launch of
> Mozilla Messaging.  Evolution is different enough from regular GNOME
> applications to be basically a different platform, and from the
> development point of view it is expensive to have another platform to
> maintain.

I don't get this argument at all. How is Evolution being a different
platform a problem, but Thunderbird being even more different is not ?

Also, a backing organization is not necessarily a guarantee for a
successful mail client. Otherwise, we would all be using chandler by
now...

Matthias