rawhide and cooker compared

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 04:34:46 UTC 2008

Austin Acton wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 18:36 -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> Lubomir Kundrak wrote:
>>> Any ideas why is Mandriva so much better at these?
>>>
>>> memory useage at gdm	313 Mb 	57 Mb (WOW!)
>>> glxgreas FPS		930	1200 (who knew?)
>> Well one big one is sendmail not installed on Mandriva I would think.  There are
>> probably several other daemons that are similar.  The install package sets are
>> not too close given the live cd vs network install.
>
> I doubt that.  Here is ps, dmesg, lsmod, and free from each at the
> instant of gdm appearance.
>
> Austin

Well there are a few big differences there in the ps lists..
NetworkManager, sendmail, metacity, setroubleshootd, yum-updatesd already
running, a number of other differences although there are some on the mandriva
side fedora hasn't started at that point.  I'm just saying, the difference in
startup memory usage at least has those things playing into it.