default mail client

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Feb 21 12:16:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 21:01 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
> I find Evolution to be completely unusable for IMAP folders.  I have
> dozens of IMAP folders with tens of thousands of messages on two
> servers.  Thunderbird seems to handle this a LOT faster than evolution
> and crashes less often.

See GNOME bug #336074 and #336076.

Does Thunderbird actually support IMAP over SSH yet?

Some mail servers don't actually have an IMAP dæmon listening, or allow
password authentication. It has to be SSH.

 $ ssh baythorne.infradead.org exec /usr/sbin/dovecot --exec-mail imap
* PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE LOGIN-REFERRALS] Logged in as dwmw2

Evolution can do this. Mutt can do this. Pine can do this.
Sylpheed can do this. Etpan can do this. Can Thunderbird?

Also, can Thunderbird send plain text without mangling it, or does the
documentation at http://mbligh.org/linuxdocs/Email/Clients/Thunderbird
still apply?

(WARNING: The above-linked page Promotes an Attitude of Violence. Not
for the faint-hearted).

--
dwmw2