default mail client

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 22:58:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:48:36 +1000, Jens Petersen <petersen at redhat.com> wrote:

> For a long time (actually as long as I can remember;) I wondered why
> Evolution was our default Mail application (MUA).

IIRC it was a Havoc's decree, together with the attempt to hoist
Epiphany upon us as a part of the over-arching Open Source Architecture.
The main merit of Evo is the integration with calendaring and LDAP.

> So what are the arguments for keeping Evolution as the default Mail
> application in Fedora?  This question seems particularly relevant now
> with things like the Lightning calendar extension and the launch of
> Mozilla Messaging.

Let's see if it moves beyond words. Several fractions tug onto
the Thunderbird's feathers. If it turns into an all-integrating
bloat monster, might as well keep Evo.

I use Sylpheed because it's the only mail client in existence never
to chew patches. Not arguing for making it default or anything,
but it's not all Evo all the time since we had Fedora Extras.

-- Pete