default mail client

Jeff Law law at redhat.com
Fri Feb 22 00:52:42 UTC 2008

Denis Leroy wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 21:01 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
>>
>>> I find Evolution to be completely unusable for IMAP folders.  I have
>>> dozens of IMAP folders with tens of thousands of messages on two
>>> servers.  Thunderbird seems to handle this a LOT faster than
>>> evolution and crashes less often.
>>

>> I've been using evolution with imap folders since 2002. I've never had
>> this sort of pain. Furthermore synchronization of imap to local works
>> well, too.
>
> I use both evolution and thunderbird with IMAP :-) evolution for work,
> thunderbird for personal and FOSS stuff. I find thunderbird's GUI easier
> to use on those large FOSS threaded mailing lists. Over time I think
> i've suffered more from evolution bugs than thunderbird one, but thigns
> are pretty stable now.
I just recently switched from Evolution to Thunderbird -- I've simply
seen Evolution crash too many times, wiping out reams of email history
in the process.  Having Evolution hang at startup due to corruption of a
mailbox a few weeks ago was the last straw.

I find Thunderbird painfully slow, but at least it's working.

Part of me still regrets the day I didn't take up MH maintenance so
that I could continue to use MH and EXMH....  OK, not really...

Jeff