Anaconda needs new locale thinking. (was Re: How important are ISO standards to Fedora?)

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Feb 22 03:01:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 13:53 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
> >  I may use English US on my computer, but I measure using metric, and
> >  format my dates DD-MM-YYYY and my printer uses A4.  Anaconda doesn't get
> >  any of the latter right, and that's just plain wrong.
>
> Here's a better question. Why are you using US English? Why aren't you
> using another English locale?

I prefer US english, and all I thought I was picking was a language.

> I strongly believe that exposing locale customizations to the extent
> necessary to make you happy in anaconda is a really dumb idea.  This
> sort of stuff is a PER USER configuration which is too complicated for
> the installer to need to mess with.

Yeah but in reality, most users have there own machines, and even on
shared machines users would have similar settings so it's not a bad
place to start.

And there isn't anywhere else to get it right either without having to
jump on the command line.

Besides, assuming I live in the US because I picked that language (even
thought later in the same install process I indicate that I live in
Melbourne, Australia is even dumber.

> We set a sane default in the installer based on the locale, and then
> the installer gets the hell out of the way.  if you want to make PER
> USER customizations, then figure out a way to expose PER USER
> customizations for the different locale based settings.
>
> -jef

 It's much better on my side"