multimedia keys vs. keyboard shortcuts (was: Re: rawhide and cooker compared)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Feb 22 15:51:48 UTC 2008

Bastien Nocera <bnocera <at> redhat.com> writes:
> What does that mean? It's easy to support multiple keyboard shortcuts in
> the backend, it's just hard to get right in the UI.

Here's the new keyboard shortcut UI in KDE 4, which was touted as one of the
usability improvements in KDE 4:
http://liquidat.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/shortcuts.png

This is for an application though. For global shortcuts, there's only
the "Global" column; unfortunately, it looks like "Global alternate" is hidden
in the UI with no way to enable it (the code is there, but the column is always
hidden). :-( (In KDE 3, there was just "Primary" or "Alternate" for both global
and application shortcuts, applications shortcuts had no "Global" version. So
this looks like a regression to me.) But it can be a source of inspiration in
any case.

        Kevin Kofler