/bin/hostname in buildroots.

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sun Feb 24 14:54:26 UTC 2008

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:33:40 -0500
Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:

> Looking through build logs of various packages, I keep seeing this..
>
> /etc/profile: line 38: /bin/hostname: No such file or directory
> warning: Could not canonicalize hostname:
> xenbuilder4.fedora.phx.redhat.com
>
> Should the buildroots provide this by default (imo, yes), or should
> packages have to explicitly BuildRequires: this ?

A while ago the requirements changed somewhat in the default buildroot
set and hostname was no longer pulled in.  However it as of yet has not
seemed to cause any real problem other than the innocuous error
message you posted above.  I'm inclined to leave it this way as the
vast majority of packages (IE everything we've thrown at it so far)
builds just fine, or errors for other reasons.  If anything actually
needs that during build it should be explicitly required.

--
Jesse Keating