Fedora bug workflow - process change

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 10:16:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 15:05 -0500, Jon Stanley wrote:
>  When a reporter enters a bug, the report automatically starts out in a
>  NEW state. The triage team will be primarily looking at bugs in this
>  state. From this state, the triage team can either change the status
>  to ASSIGNED (which indicates that the bug is well defined and
>  triaged), or use the NEEDINFO state to request additional information
>  from the reporter, or close the bug (either as a duplicate of an
>  existing one, or using other closure reasons - CANTFIX for problems
>  with proprietary drivers or kernels that have such drivers loaded, for
>  example).
>
>  The ASSIGNED state is a state that has a new meaning - it used to mean
>  that the bug was actually assigned to a person. Instead, it now means
>  that the bug is capable of being worked on by a maintainer - i.e. the
>  triage team believes that this is a complete, actionable bug - i.e.
>  with a stack trace for a crasher, various log files for other
>  components, complete AVC message for SELinux stuff, etc.

IMO this is bad, as we don't differentiate between "this is a bug" and
"someone is actually working on it" then; ASSIGNED should mean what it
says, that a bug is assigned to a person or group of persons to work on
it. Perhaps another state (TRIAGED, VERIFIED?) should be
introduced/re-used for that.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759