Proposal: stop configuring soundcards through /etc/modprobe.conf

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Feb 26 16:46:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, 21.02.08 19:32, Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) wrote:

>>> All we then need is a (simple) tool to change the default output device
>>> for pulseaudio, and put that under an appropriately named menu entry
>>> under user preferences. This is another advantage of this new scheme, the
>>> default output device then become a per user preference instead of a
>>> system wide settings, as it should be.
>> That tool is already thre. Just run pavucontrol, and right click on
>> the device you want to make the default. It already is per-user.
>
> Ah, good.
>
> 2 points though:
>
> 1) I'm not sure its obvious to end users that the default output device can
> be
>    set from volume control, maybe we should add the same capabilities to
>    papreferences?

Sure. It's not obvious. You are right. I tried to make it a bit more
obvious by adding this label in the pavucontrol UI to actually teach
people about this, but I do agree that this is not that great,
still.

> 2) I think we should be giving the pulseaudio tools more generic names, an
>    average user probably has no idea what pa is, and this might not use
> menu
>    entries with pa in the name.

Hmm? What do you mean? The menu item is called "PulseAudio Volume
Control". The "Volume Control" is pretty generic, isn't it? I thought
we had kind of a policy of naming the menu items in the form "NAME
GENERICNAME" as in "Firefox Web Browser" instead of just "Firefox" or
"Web Browser". And "PulseAudio Volume Control" follows this scheme
kind of, doesn't it?

Or do you complain about the binary name? If so, does the binary name
really matter?

Lennart